Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I'm Too Exhausted to Think of a Title.

The wind howled all day today. Rain overnight turned our excavated material into boot sticking mud that seemed to add 10 pounds to each foot. By afternoon a cold front appeared and the temperature dropped; snow fell shortly thereafter but not enough to accumulate. To keep warm I wore long johns, two long sleeved shirts, bib overalls, a jacket, coveralls, a visi-vest, a hard hat liner, a hard hat, and gortex lined work boots. Still I had to keep moving to stay warm, and today there was plenty of reasons to move.

I shovelled more gravel today than I should have, ran a plate tamper more than I should have, and lifted concrete risers more than I should have. At the end of the day I thought I’d hurt my back, but after a hot shower I found out I had only hurt many, many muscles. It was the kind of day that makes you want to skip dinner and go to sleep, like someone lost in the wilderness about to succumb to hypothermia maybe; or like someone working in Saskatchewan in October.

Luckily we were saved at the last moment by Baba’s "Drive-Thru" Perogies.

3 comments:

  1. Drive thru perogies?? Oh you must be in heaven!! Oh wait, no you're not, you're in Saskatchewan in October. ICK. I cannot believe you were able to move with all the clothing you had on, you must've felt like the Michelin Man!!

    KathZad

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have drive through everything in Saskatoon, and the funny thing is they are terrible drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess taking corners makes them have to really concentrate hard and then they get really tired. I can't think of another reason why someone, or many someones, who live in a FLAT part of the country, could be bad drivers.

    ReplyDelete