Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Grizzly in My Parking Spot

The wife was swimming at the Nelson Community Center one evening. When she came home there was a grizzly standing in the spot where we park the car. It was mightily startled by the headlights and ran up the road, back to the forest.

We decided rather than stay in a hotel, we would rent a house in an area of Nelson called Mountain Station. It is a beautifully renovated 100 year old farmhouse on a half acre of land high above the City. The view from the kitchen window is spectacular and there are fantastic walking and biking trails right out the front door. Although there are a few houses above ours, there isn't much between here and the Selkirk Mountains, and we had heard on the radio earlier in the week about a grizzly sighted in our area.

When she finally got up enough courage to come inside after scaring away the great silver-tipped bear, the wife somewhat testily asked me if I received her text message. I guess she didn't want to phone and wake the baby, and apparently I was supposed to rush out there to rescue her, but I hadn't noticed the text which simply stated "Grizzly".

No comments:

Post a Comment